Friday, April 18, 2008

Requiem for a Big Girl Bed

When we set up Zoe's crib in her new room, we decided to set it up as a toddler bed, ie, no cage-like rail on one side. I figured that she was going to be in a big-girl bed before too long and it wouldn't hurt to start the transition. Oh how naive I was.

The first night was tough. We had to go in a few times and regulate. And by "regulate" I mean of course read her yet another book and lovingly place her back in her bed. She eventually fell asleep around 9 pm. The next day I put her down for a nap and she went to sleep all by herself. In the middle of the floor, certainly, but still, all by herself. That night was awful. She was so upset and couldn't calm herself down. Climbing in and out of the bed was just too much fun to go to sleep, but she was so tired that she was fussy. As James and I tried, fruitlessly, to accomplish things around the house, the thought came to mind, "Why am I doing this? Why am I squandering these nighttime hours when I could just go back to locking her in a cage? Why did I think this was a great idea? How long would it take James to put the rail back on?"

Turns out, James could reattach that rail in about 10 minutes. I thought Zoe would freak out at being re-fenced in, but to my astonishment (and relief) she merely curled up on her side and fell asleep immediately.

So here is where I call for the aid of all you moms who have children who are currently NOT sleeping in a crib (or in your bed). How do you do it? When do you know they are ready to handle the responsibility? Zoe was absolutely overwhelmed by the possibility of getting out of bed and seemed happier (and better rested) when her choices were taken away from her. I guess my most important question is this: Is there such a thing as bunk-cribs? I might be in the market for one shortly if things don't change...

5 comments:

Heather said...

What we did for Emma's transition into the big girl bed was set is up in her room for a couple of days and let her play on it and get used to it and said when she wanted to she could sleep in it. I think she was almost 2 when we started the transition. After 3 days of playing on it she asked if she could sleep in it for night time. So we let her and told her she needed to stay in her bed like mom and dad do. We were so blessed that she listened to us. I think it took her a little longer to adjust to her nap time in it. She would play on the floor until she fell asleep and then I would move her. I know we are not going to have the same luck with Tyson. I am not looking forward to the day when we need his crib for the next one and he gets a new bed and new room. Good luck with your adventures! I hope this was helpful.

emily said...

Hey Desta! hope you love your house. We didn't put Eliza in a big girl bed until she was 3. And since then it has been a battle to get her to stay in her bed and room almost every night. For the past 3 months she's been tired enough to stay in there. I wish there were cribs big enough for kids up to 10 (and no way to climb out). Evenings are too important to me. Have fun!

April said...

We knew our kids were ready to be moved out of the crib when we would find them hanging from the side screaming, in an attempt to climb out. Thomas stayed in the longest and he was about 20 months old. (They are very active, bordering primate). If she can't open the door yet, just close the door and let her fall asleep wherever. I would even leave the door closed so the could get up in the morning and read or play. Otherwise, they would come into my room at like 5:30 ready for the day. That's not a good idea, I am not very nice that early. Good luck! I can't believe she is already that big!

Amanda said...

All of my kids sleep in their cribs until they about 3. By that time they are pretty good about staying in their beds. Ella is almost 2 and a half and she says she wants to sleep in a "big" bed, but the few times we have tried it she does just what Zoe did. My personal opinion is to wait as long as possible.
If you really want her out by the time the baby is born, try the transition in a few months. If it still isn't working maybe you can borrow a crib from someone or use a pack n play for the baby.
Good luck :)

Erin said...

We explained to Ethan that he got a "big boy bed" because the baby was going to need the "baby crib." We completely talked it up and when he woke up in the morning still in his bed we ranted and raved. He eventually got the picture. It is a bit of a game at first. Good luck!