Saturday, April 26, 2008

"I'm Done With Whiskey, Wine, and Beer..."

"...it's Nasal Spray from this day here!"

It started back in February. It got just warm enough for nature to gear into Spring mode. Translation - pollen. Significance to me - allergies. I don't know if it's the pregnancy or if my body is just deteriorating at such a young age, but this year my allergies have been worse than ever. The first warm days we had I woke up with a sore throat, which evolved into congestion so bad I could barely breathe at night. Which then turned into a sinus headache that lasted a month. I'm so serious. One continuous pounding headache for a month. "Gee Desta, why didn't you take something?" Oh goodness, why didn't I think of that? Oh wait, I did. I took everything that has ever alleviated my sinuses. It didn't work. AM, PM - there was no relief. Even when I accidentally took the AM's in the PM and vice-versa. It took me two days to figure out why I was so tired. Since when did Tylenol start making their PM pills white? What an abysmal thing to do. I digress.

Eventually the headaches and congestion stopped. Mostly because it started snowing and freezing regularly. As happy as I was for the snowing/freezing cycle to end, I knew it would just mean a new onslaught of symptoms. As usual, I was right. I did some searching on the internet and found that 1) pregnancy can make allergies worse and 2) there are hardly any prescription drugs approved to help. So I dutifully popped an allergy pill each day hoping that it would ward off the sinus infection boogey man. But one morning I woke up with that ominous scratch in the back of my throat and by the next day I was in full allergy-suffering mode. In my misery, I reached for the only over-the-counter solution I hadn't tried - nasal spray.

Simple saline, shove-it-in-your-nose-and-squeeze spray. How could this $1 liquid succeed where more than $30 worth of pills and capsules had failed? I don't know and I don't care - it did. I take a few hits each night before bed and then whenever I need them during the day (in addition to the daily allergy pill) and I have been clear for two entire weeks. It's bliss. So if any of you have ever, or will ever, suffer from the worst allergies of your life, don't forget our old friend nasal spray. In our world of medical advances and prescription cure-alls, sometimes it's nice to have them all trumped by a bottle of water that you stick in your nose.

For any of you interested, the title and first line of this post come from a Grandaddy song about a guy who gives up alcohol in favor of the buzz he gets from expired nasal spray. The song is called "Moe Bandy Mountaineers." And yes, I know I'm weird.


7 comments:

Walnut said...

I stopped reading after:

I'm Done With Whiskey, Wine, and Beer
It started back in February.

Erin said...

I'm so glad you have returned to the land of the living! Being pregnant is not fun...we shouldn't have to add stupid stuff like allergies to the discomfort! Yay for saline spray!

Kayla said...

Allergies suck! Lets start a club. And my poor little Shelby has them and has been absolutely miserable all day! She got my genes in that department, unfortunately. Jake doesn't have them.

April said...

If only you had posted this last week. my sister in law is pregnant and came to visit. I was trying to push drugs on her the whole time. I kept on saying "I took this and my kids are fine" (as Tommy was punching himself in the privates just for kicks). Anyways, when did you find out what you're having? Footloose was on the other day and I thought of you guys when the Payson scenes were on.

Leslie said...

Oh my goodness I am laughing my HEAD OFF after reading "april's" comment. That is hilarious.

Anyway! I'm so excited that nasal spray works for you! Don't you feel like you'll never take clear nasal passages for granted again?!

Jennifer (Fern) said...

I think Tylenol switched the pill colors as a nasty April Fools joke. I wonder how many people fell for it.

I like how almost all your posts have the titles (or lyrics) of a song. Even if you weren't a self-proclaimed music snob, we'd be able to tell because of the titles on your posts!

Kimberly said...

I have really bad allergies too, worse than ever and I think it's pregnancy issues. Packing boxes has been miserable because of it.