Monday, April 21, 2008

Backyard Barbeque

Last Sunday, the 13th, was the first beautiful day we've seen in weeks. The weather was perfect, we were without church responsibilities, Zoe was an angel all day, and someone actually spoke to me in Relief Society, so for me the day was already a success. Hoping the weather would be warm at some point during the weekend, I planned to have James grill up some kabobs for us. We dusted the grill off and fired it up.


These chicken kabobs are TO-DIE-FOR, and paired with roasted potatoes and lemonade, we were in heaven. Plus we got to eat outside. Zoe ate 2 skewers worth of food (on top of the dinner I had already fixed for her) all by herself.


It was basically the best day we've had since we moved in. The only thing that was missing was all of you. Seriously. Not that there would have been enough food, but we really missed our friends we've grown accustomed to seeing, especially outside during warmer weather. But I'm sure we'll do it again, assuming it ever stops snowing. Yes that's right. For you out of towners, after 2 days in a row of 70 and 80 degree weather, we got snowed on again the following Tuesday. It's the middle of April for crying out loud!


For anyone who is interested, here is the recipe for the best chicken kabobs you'll ever have:


For 6-8 skewers
  • 1/2 cup Olive Oil
  • 1/4 cup Lemon Concentrate
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1-3 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tbs fresh thyme (I substitute dried and it's no biggie)
  • 1 Tbs brown sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into even pieces (at least 18)
  • 1 green pepper, cut into pieces
  • 2 (or more as desired) green onions, cut into large pieces.
Combine first 8 ingredients and set aside.

Onto each of 6 skewers (obviously use more if there is left over meat/veggies), alternately thread three chicken pieces with three pepper pieces. Finish with one piece of green onion. I really like the green onion flavor, so next time I am going to put more onto each one.

Arrange skewers in shallow baking dish. Pour all but 1/4 cup marinade over kabobs. Cover and let stand 30-60 minutes (I rotate the kabobs half-way through)

Grill over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes. Serve drizzled with reserved marinade.

Wipe up drool!

6 comments:

Leslie said...

Absolutely mouth-watering. I really really think I need those right now.

kelly said...

wow, those sound sooo good! I can't wait to try them, thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm envious of your back yard BBQ. We'll have one soon and I am very anxious to use it all summer! (and then some).

Erin said...

Thank you for the recipe. I'm totally making these as soon as I can. Now, how did you make such beautiful looking (and I'm sure delicious) potatos? Maybe you should start cooking lessons...I'd sign up (can we do it via the internet?)

Amanda said...

Yum! Thanks for the recipe, next sunny day we are going to make these.

April said...

As soon as I clean the cat pee off our barbecue grill, i am going to try those. (Our cat decided to make a special home under the cover). Now that I have admitted that outloud, I think we should probably get a new BBQ, instead of just cleaning it up. Maybe you can cook those for us when we come up in July. That should give you plenty of time to plan a menu.

Unknown said...

wait, April...didn't you guys BBQ for us a couple months back?...
Actually, I'm sure Fergy was just so distraut after our departure that she was being extra naughty. That's it...right?

Thanks for the recipe, Desta. I know we've never met, but I totally would have crashed that party. It looked so good! If you're ever in St. George come on over and James can make them for us:) Don't you love what a great hostess I am...I make my guests cook!