Friday, April 11, 2008

...Another One Rides the Bus

Since we've been married (over 3 1/2 years now) we have lived approximately 1.6 miles from my (James here) place of employment. It never took me more than 5 minutes to get to work.

You may have heard about our recent move south to Payson.

I am now officially a commuter. I live 21.5 miles from my previously mentioned place of work. I don't really mind getting up a little earlier and I actually enjoy driving for 25 minutes or so before work. It gives me time to think, listen to music, and just generally wake up before I get to the office.

There is only one thing that really breaks the deal for the whole commuting thing. It is the fact that the cost of gas right now is between $3.20 and $3.40 per gallon. And that's the "cheap" stuff! And the cost is only going to go up. If I was to drive to work every day, it would cost us well over $100 in gas every month...

...No thanks.

So, the good news is that the UTA (Utah Transit Authority) bus system has an "express" route that runs directly on the freeway from Payson (where we live) to Utah Valley University (where I work and go to school). The even better news is that as a student/staff, I get a yearly bus pass for $5. That's cheaper than one trip driving in the car!

Now I just sit back and sleep or listen to the iPod (or both) while some nice man drives me to work every day. It's never crowded and there is free Wi-Fi service on the bus so I can check emails or whatever. I just sit back and watch the miles fly by and count the money that I am saving. I could get used to this.

(You know, they say there is one crazy weirdo on every bus. I don't think that's true though because I've yet to spot him.)

13 comments:

Kayla said...

That's great! Way to be environmentally friendly, too!

Jennifer (Fern) said...

I think you forgot to consider yourself as the crazy guy on the bus!
Pretty convenient to be able to ride a bus, though.

Erin said...

The only unfortunate thing, I suppose, about living further away is that it adds nearly an hour every day to Desta's "job"...25 minutes in the morning and 25 minutes in the evening. I'm sure it's fine while Zoe is young and cute and adorable. But when you have two, and they are older and not so adorable, Desta might be a little bit cranky by the end of the day. Or,maybe she is more laid back than me and all will be well. Good luck!

April said...

I have a great mental video of you with your IPOD playing air guitar, and there's a helmet. anyways...

Amanda said...

Are you sure it's not the short yellow bus? j/k

My hubby used to ride the bus and he never saw any weirdos either....strange.

Unknown said...

Wow gas is actually cheap up there! We may have sun down here in St. George, but we're all getting poorer by the minute because of gas prices. Seriously, lucky you.

Walnut said...

And another one gone,
and another one gone
Another one rides the bus
Hey, Im gonna get you too
Another one rides the bus.


Funny comment James, how you can't see the weirdo on the bus. i was laughing

ali said...

my memory of you almost always includes travis's geo metro. you could buy one of those. don't they get like 70 miles to the gallon?

Heather said...

Stan likes the way you tavel and get to use the computer. He says that if he had that same choice he would totally do it too. Bytheway, congrats on the new house!!

kelly said...

hey, crazy weirdo, I'm glad you get to save some bucks (many bucks) and get a care-free ride to work! I love getting a "deal". Gas is a joke these days! way to be resourceful and environmentally friendly.

Tom Archibald said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom Archibald said...

I once had a dream that I was actually part of the cast of Seinfeld. When I awoke I told Joy that it was so strange that everyone was there...there was Jerry...there was Elaine...there was Kramer...but wait...where is George?

You get the idea!

Uncle Tom

Marie said...

Fern cracks me up! I wish they had a bus for me to take all the kids to soccer practice and games...it'd be a nice way to get some help with all these crazy kiddos!

I LOVE being thrifty and frugal...great way to save some money!