Thursday, April 17, 2008

Quotable Quotes

The first 2 weeks in our house have flown by. Having 2 separate sets of guests definitely helped. My parents came for nearly a week and brought some of my things that had been cluttering up their own house. Now they can clutter up our house! Actually, I am so grateful that they came. Among my many treasures were a day bed (to accommodate any guests *hint hint*), a nuggle-sized table and chairs, my cedar chest that my dad made for me, and various keepsakes from my youth. It's all just a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of my crap they still have at their house, but it's a pretty good start.

Shortly after they left, my niece and her friend - I kid you not her name is Deshka - came for a couple days for a snowboarding trip to Park City. My niece is only 5 years younger than I am so it was fun to hang out and catch up when she wasn't busy with the Provo singles scene. And it was great to break in our "guest room."

The biggest addition to our family lately has been Zoe's vocabulary. She is seriously starting to master the art of the sentence, with such phrases as "Turn the light on/off" and "I want it." She has also mastered the tantrum that more often than not follows "I want it" with any sort of delay or refusal at whatever she has requested. She also picks out the most important nouns and verbs from what we say and repeats them back to us. Her new best friend is definitely Dora the Explorer, and so she has learned such helpful words like : flashlight, rope, froggy pond, Swiper, Tico, Isa, backpack, map, etc.

If repeating everything we say isn't enough, Zoe has started to make up her own words for things, completely unprompted. While giving her a bath a few nights ago, she simple started saying "nanum" and then laughing hysterically. For the next half hour that was all she did - say nanum and crack up. As the days have gone by I think I've figured out a pretty accurate definition for the new word - Nanum: v, to lay down on one's stomach in the bath tub and drink of the water therein. What, do you have a better word for that? I didn't think so.

5 comments:

RazakFamily said...

I'm so glad to have you back to the Blogging scene...I have been definitely having Desta Withdrawals!!!
I love Zoe's new word...I think that it makes COMPLETE sense if you think about it :)
Navi J definitely misses having his buddy around - we'll have to make a play-date.

Leslie said...

"Nanum"? Sure. I think I've read about it somewhere. Zoe is so advanced for her age! :)

I love the picture of you and your mom. Totally shows how much you love her (and she you).

We're really excited about your upcoming house-warming party (hint hint). Love you and miss you! (Oh, and you're looking pretty darn cute all preggers.)

Erin said...

Well, the two previous comments are way cooler than anything I was going to say, so I'll just say I liked this post a lot. The End.

Melissa said...

That's hilarious!!! Michelle still speaks "French (or some kind of language we don't understand but she does" along with a few English words. Will and I just need to figure out what she's really saying. I think she won't shut up once she starts talking. That's awesome that Zoe is picking up so much. I can't wait for that!

Kiki said...

I love the little doll on Zoe's lap reading with your mom! What a cutie