Monday, January 7, 2008

Music Snobs Anonymous: Elevator Music

Hi, my name is Desta and I'm a music snob. I've been a music snob for about 3 years.

Hi Desta.

Hi, my name is James and I'm a music snob. I've been a music snob for about 7 years.

Hi James.

Welcome to Music Snobs Anonymous. We know we're music snobs and you might be one too. Here are some signs:
  • You haven't listened to the radio in a year
  • Your family has more than one iPod
  • You've utilized Excel to rate and rank your CD collection
  • You own at least 2 music DVDs (not musicals, but DVDs of concerts or band documentaries/anthologies
If you or someone you know is a music snob, or you would like more information about becoming a music snob, please check back here every week as we share some of our favorite musical moments* with the world. Even if you have no interest in our musical choices we still love you and hope you keep reading our blog.

In a perfect world, this would be our elevator music:



That is The Arcade Fire and yes, they are performing live in an elevator. This is the same band we saw back in September and we just can't say enough great things about them. To me (and James will probably concur) this is as close to musical perfection as it gets. I mean they're in an ELEVATOR for cryin' out loud! And that one guy is ripping a magazine! It's so beautiful it brings me to tears, and that's saying a lot. Stay tuned for future meetings of Music Snobs Anonymous.

* Most of these moments will come in the form of YouTube videos, but we want to clarify that we don't just mindlessly comb the internet looking for this stuff, this is all music that we already LOVE. YouTube is just the easiest way to share it with all you lovely people.

7 comments:

Tom Archibald said...

Ok..let's see..

1 Ipod, massive collection of CD's (mostly Classic Rock, Country and odd mix of historic crap), background in radio (1980's) and headphone now have a quarter inch of dust. last headphone experience was Pink Floyd (Dark Side)...I believe this makes me a MUSIC SLACKER?

Uncle Tom

Erin said...

Hey, I'm a music slacker too!

But I did enjoy this elevator music very much. Maybe I do have hope!!!

Deneal said...

I don't think Erin can be considered a music slacker with all the iTunes shopping she does. Me on the other hand....I'm sadly off the musical band wagon. Desta you have so much to teach me.

Hey I noticed that nursery ticker is almost done!!! Hooray, and I guess that means happy half birthday to Zoe sometime this week?

Alisha said...

Well, I'm not a music snob...however my music consists of mickey mouse, elmo, and disney cd's...aaahhh! CONGRATULATIONS...Nursery starts this week!!

Marie said...

That was super neat!

Cathy Jo said...

I must admit that I enjoyed this music. Weird, but really interesting. His voice and the instruments were good, but being in an elevator was the best! I had to laugh. I have no ipod, no CD player, one old radio with a cassette player in it, but no cassettes either. I do have some CD's but what good are they without a to play them? I am definitely a music slacker also. My favorite artist is a guy named James Gillice, and I do listen to him in my car (I have a built in CD player there). He is the only music I seem to find time and energy to listen to. ILOVEHISMUSIC. I love him too. Love James' Mom!!!

Deneal said...

I just got a random hankerin' to see that awesome video again and had to search through your Music Snobs posts to find it again. Yup, it's still as incredible as I remembered.