Monday, November 26, 2007

So Apparently, I ROCK!

At Thanksgiving, anyway. Although I'm sure this applies to many other aspects of my life as well. First let me apologize for taking so long to get around to this. We've had company and I haven't been on the computer for nearly a week. But now our house is empty and Zoe is watching a movie so here we go.

James' dad and stepmom got to our house late Wednesday night, just after I'd finished preparing the mashed potatoes. On Thursday, I started cooking at nine in the morning and everything went smoothly from there - Sweet potatoes, turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls (not pictured, they were still in the oven and I forgot I was waiting for them to finish), gravy, and stuffing. I did it all! I was a little nervous to try a few new recipes, especially for Thanksgiving classics that I had never really done before. Everything was all ready right at five, table set and everything. I've been planning everything for weeks so I was really happy that everything went according to plan. It's what I live for!


James said that the sweet potatoes were the best things he had ever tasted in his life. So I guess everything turned out pretty well. I totally kicked some Thanksgiving butt and I can't wait to do it again next year! (if we're finished with all of our leftovers by then). Maybe some day I'll be brave enough to attempt the pies - I DO NOT bake. Just as a rule of thumb. Thank you Coldstone! Pumpkin ice cream pie is awesome.


Sorry to neglect Flashback Friday this week, but we were in Salt Lake all day with the family. We hit Ikea (of course) and then met up with cousin Jessie at the Gateway Mall. You can tell Jessie is great with kids because usually Zoe freaks out about facial hair and she didn't even flinch around Jessie. After wasting as much daylight as we could at the mall, we ventured over to Temple Square where the spectacular Christmas lights were on for the first time of the season. It was crowded and cold, to put it mildly, but we had a great time. Zoe was a trooper and put up very graciously with being bundled, unbundled, and hauled in and out of the car and the stroller.











All in all we had a GREAT time. We played tons of Nintendo and watched the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy - the extended version of course. Bill and Kathleen left this morning and Zoe cried for 10 minutes after they were gone. She's never done that before so I guess that means she likes them.We love you and miss you already. Can't wait to do it again!

7 comments:

Jason, Alyson, Kaci, Brynley & Ashlynn said...

How fun! Go you for cooking all of Thanksgiving dinner...it looked pretty yummy! What a fun weekend you had...

Erin said...

What I am wondering is - did you enjoy Thanksgiving at all, besides feeling awesome for putting on such a great dinner? But I guess leftovers are even better than the actual dinner sometimes, and you were able to relax to enjoy those.

Kayla said...

You're good at everything you do, Desta! I hear you on the leftovers...we'll be eating them till New Years. Everyone we had Thanksgiving with was from out of town, so we have leftovers from 2 turkeys and a turduckin. BTW, I finished the chenille blanket...after I washed it, it came out crooked. Also, the binding is hideous! I can't sew a straight line, but oh well. It was my first attempt.

Jason, Alyson, Kaci, Brynley & Ashlynn said...

K, so I found the best blog site that has free oh so cute layouts called Matie Kay Creations...I have the link on my blog...just click and take a looksie!

Jennifer (Fern) said...

After the first couple of years doing Thanksgiving dinner, it hasn't been something I look forward to anymore. But it may very well be different for you, cooking is your calling! Maybe one of these years we'll get together and I'll do the pies. Because baking actually is my speciality!
I wish we could've been with you guys! I sure miss you and Dad and Jo and... everyone!!!

kelly said...

making the whole dinner is such an accomplishment! way to go! the timing is the trickiest part and you planned perfectly.

one year, I was hosting (at my in-law's, we were house-sitting) and the double oven broke the day before Thanksgiving! It couldn't be fixed until the following Monday, so we did a grocery store re-heat dinner...in the microwave! can you imagine!? oh well, it was easy for everyone!! :)

Romney Family said...

I am impressed with all the cooking you did. I am glad that everything turned out so well for you. I cooked everything as well this Thanksgiving. I thought it was fun getting to make our own Thanksgiving for the first time since we been married. It looks like you had an enjoyable time. It is always extra rewarding when your husband says it is the best he has ever tasted. Way to go Desta!