Monday, November 12, 2007

Nursery Reject


Yesterday Zoe was an ANGEL in church. I was sitting on the stand because I had to speak again (that's twice in 6 months) and James had Zoe. She was wonderful. She had a little outbreak in Sunday School, but falling out of a folding chair backwards warrants an outbreak. She was pretty traumatized, so James and I decided we would try chaperoning her in Nursery. Almost everyone we know says they started taking their kid a couple months early and just stayed with them. Well, I don't know if it was because James took her in or because James asked permission when he took her in, but the nursery teachers told him she couldn't be in there, even with parental supervision. I was pretty mad. It seems like everyone in the ward takes advantage of pre-nursery, and yet we can't? I don't understand. Zoe has been ready for nursery since she was walking. I was hoping to acclimate her over the next two months because she does have a problem with sharing and she can be very territorial if she likes something. Now, I'm just going to let her loose on the nursery and say "Good Luck" to the teachers. That'll teach 'em.

Wow, I'm in a vengeful mood. I guess 4 non-consecutive hours of sleep will do that to you. Yes, 4 whopping hours. Zoe was great at church, took a wonderful nap in the afternoon, and was a pleasure all evening. Everything was business as usual in the Gillice home. Then Zoe woke up screaming at 2 am. And at 3 am. And at 4 am. Eventually we brought her in bed with us which is SO crazy because Zoe does not sleep in our bed. We're not opposed to it in any way. In fact it would make my morning if she would come cuddle with me for even 15 minutes. Zoe does not sleep in our bed because SHE does not want to. So it was weird to have her sleeping next to me, if only for a few hours. She woke up right at 7 and wanted out, so that is where our day began today. Tired and cranky. And so was Zoe.

And here are some random pictures from last week when we had a moment of gorgeous weather. Those of you who have ever lived on or near Anne Circle should recognize the location.






6 comments:

Erin said...

I love the one where Zoe is sticking her tongue out. As if her tongue will help her stand up...but maybe it will! Also, where she is kissing the side of the slide where 50 other kids have kissed the slide too. Kids just love to share germs! Love the pics.

kelly said...

don't you hate the last 2 months before nursery!? Ezra goes in Dec. 21 (or whatever that Sunday will be) and we cannot wait!! he's everywhere and it's so frustrating. there are a group of moms who turned one of the unused classrooms into a "pre-nursery" room. we just sit in there with our little ones and talk away. it's better than chasing them down the hall.

I love those pictures of Zoe. she is so cute! and her hair and clothes always look adorable.

Walnut said...

Zoe don't let the other kids make fun of you, I used to be so in love with slides and I too would make out with my slide on occasion.

Jennifer (Fern) said...

That's a bummer about nursery! We've never had that problem - we've always brought our kids into nursery early, but then we've always been in wards with fairly small nursery's(or practically no nrsery at all). I bet your nusery leader is just stressed out with a nursery kid over-load, or something. Afterall, that's not always the funnest calling in the world. (At least not for me at this time in my life, I have to deal with my own kids all day every day, the last thing I want to do is take care of mine and others during church! Someday when I'm done having kids I'd love to be in the nursery... just not now!))

Gillian Michelle said...

Hey Desta,

Zoe is so cute! I can't believe how big she is. Seems like just yesterday we were at your baby shower!

Don't take the nursery thing personally. My mom (who's in the Primary Presidency) has been dealing with this issue a lot lately. It says specifically in the Church Handbook that kids aren't supposed to be in nursery until 18 months, period. I think a lot of people have taken advantage of it and it is becoming a problem so leaders are having to crack down. One lady in our ward said its like having to wait until you're 16 to date! It's the rule!

Amy said...

Desta,
I'm nursery leader in our ward. I told a mom she could bring in her daughter as long as she stayed with her, and someone told the bishopric, so a counselor pulled me aside later and told me "We don't want parents dropping their kids off until they are 18 months". I said fine. Later I saw that same mom and said "just so you know, you aren't allowed to drop off your girl (which she hadn't but I had to say), but as long as you stay with her I'm fine with her being in nursery." And I told other moms that during the 3rd hour when it gets to be free playtime they were welcome to come play with toys as long as they stayed with their kid. The problem happens when parents don't stay---the ratio gets messed up. If parents are with the child, then there is no difference whether they're there or not. I would be just as mad as you. What a joke. Nursery exists for the parents---not the kids. Some people don't realize that. Or they forget.