Thursday, November 1, 2007

Halloween Stinks!

Yeah, I said it, what are you going to do about it, huh? Halloween is in no means a favorite holiday in the Gillice home. I'd say we barely tolerate it and put off celebrating it until the last possible moment. Why? I'm not really sure. "Spooky" stuff has never been that spooky to me and I can never think of a feasible costume (one that I have time, money, and skills enough to pull off). I do make sure that Zoe has a costume, that our pumpkins are carved, and that we haven't eaten all the candy for the trick-or-treaters.


It seems that Zoe's costumes are taking on a theme, however. A subtle one yes, but I still see a connection. They all seem to be a throwback to a New Mexico way of life. Last year she was a chili pepper and this year, I present none other than.... Zoe the Skunk! (and yes, the patch on the back says Lil Stinker)

Oh my she was a hit! I'll apologize now for the lack of photos from the ward party, but James was in class and I was too busy wrangling Garth and a cranky skunk to take pictures (I barely got to eat). But we took her trick or treating in the mall and got plenty of pictures there. Now, I don't mean to be vain, but Zoe is the cutest kid and she had the cutest costume. No competition. When Zoe was REALLY little, we thought we were just imagining how adorable she was, but almost everywhere we go, we literally have people stopping to adore her. Mall trick-or-treating was no exception. It was actually just on a much grander scale. Everyone passing out candy, all the other kids, and other (jealous) parents would stop, point, and say something like, "Look at that cute little skunk!" This isn't normal, is it? I don't do this to other children and it didn't really seem to be happening to any other kids I saw. I guess she really is just that dang cute. Even as a skunk. James said it was the little black nose that sealed the deal. Zoe never even rubbed it off!


So, Halloween still stinks, but we still had a pretty good time. Although Zoe is now addicted to candy. She wanted Whoppers for breakfast but I try not to encourage the digestion of malted milk in my house. So then she wanted a Dum Dum, but I told her we'd have to save it for lunch. You know, like we had yesterday for lunch. Mom of the Year sitting right here!

8 comments:

Kayla said...

That is such a cute costume! Zoe is a doll. Did you make her costume?

Anonymous said...

She looks so grown up and cute, thanks for pictures
I look every night to see
whats going on there and to keep up with Zoe
Much love from great grandpa and grandma in Oregon

Erin said...

Wow, she is a cute skunk. I think you must be lucky parents to have such a cute kid. Aidan gots lots of comments too (for the rooster)...but thankfully Ethan was eating too much candy to notice that he wasn't getting too many comments! Then again, a doctor isn't too fabulous of a costume. But he chose it, and we sure don't mind him being a doctor when he grows up!

Jason, Alyson, Kaci, Brynley & Ashlynn said...

She is the cutest skunk we've ever seen...love the costume! We get the pleasure of smelling lots of those smelly creatures here in NM...gotta love it! Not really but ya know how it is!

Marie said...

Cute, cute, cute. Funny thing is, I feel the same way about my kids! Hilarious!

Jennifer (Fern) said...

Definitely a unique costume! I sure didn't see any skunk costumes on Halloween! She is so adorabe! Yeah, pumpkin carving is always more of a fiasco than anticipated...I gues that's why it's only done once a year, so you can forget how terrible it was the last year. The girls did more watching and whining than actual carving, but it's all part of the experience!

Heather said...

I love the costume. Who knew a skunk could be soo cute!!!

kelly said...

I love the skunk!! Zoe is adorable! and I love her dimple. what a cutie.
I wish Ezra had a skunk costume, he's been a real "stinker" this week, those darn teeth coming in!