Monday, November 19, 2007

The Little Sewing Machine that Couldn't

I have had it up to here! I have devoted hours over the past week to a sewing project that should have taken me about 30 minutes. And so now I find myself between a bobbin and a hard place. Do I fix my ANCIENT sewing machine and hope that a $50 tune-up does the trick? Or do I cash in my chips and get a new one? I love my old machine and it has been great - providing us with curtains, table linens, bedding, and clothing over the past few years. But lately it spends more time mutilating my project than is really necessary. And I spend more time fixing the mistakes the machine has caused than I have caused. Basically it is two steps forward and three steps back (does anyone else remember that lame country song? It was my favorite when I was little!) . I would love to have a new machine but that would involve some sort of knowledge about how to buy a machine and what I am looking for (not to mention a large sum of cash floating around).

Front

This is a picture of the model I use (it's not the one in my living room but I really didn't want to take a picture of it so I found this). If you don't know, my machine is THE EXACT machine my mom used when I was growing up (and still uses today). It really is old. 1963 old. It is made out of metal, which is actually one of the problems because the little internal light bulb heats up the casing and I tend to burn myself, since said casing is less than an inch away from my fingers most of the time. But I am so scared to get a new machine since basically I have never sewn on anything but this one. I am such a wuss.

But while I'm ranting - Can you (Erin, Marie and ToVah) believe that after last week's cliffhanger we will have to endure a CLIP SHOW this week? Of all the things to be UN-thankful for. Sheesh.

5 comments:

Vickie said...

Desta,
I am Erin's mom, Vickie. In my humble opinion (I sew like a fiend), NOTHING beats a Bernina. It probably is just the timing or the machine needs a thorough lube and cleaning.
Take it to your nearest Bernina dealer and see if they will give you a quote after looking at the machine but BEFORE any committment from you monitarily to make sure it is going to be a small "fix".
I sold my Bernina about 10 years ago and am still kicking myself for doing it (even though I love my Pfaff I should have kept them both!).
Because your Bernina has no plastic parts (all metal)it was built to last a lifetime and them some.
Good luck!
Vickie Inman

Amy said...

I'm with Vicki. I love Bernina. Take it in and get it a nice TLC check up at the Bernina store. My mom says her Bernina from the 60s sews better than her Bernina from the 90s, but they both sew better than my sister's machine from Costco. I have a bernina too, and I love it. Unfortunately I haven't taken it in for probably 2 1/2 years, and now the bobbin is snagging everything so thats on my to-do list for the holidays..

Erin said...

I didn't know my mom would send you a comment! I just knew she would enjoy your post. Wow, I have more influence than I thought I did!

Anonymous said...

Desta-
I was raised with a bernina but recently bought a brother from a pawn shop. It is computerized, but I have really enjoyed it. I've done a couple project since I bought it and it does great. If you don't want to spend a ton of money try looking at pawn shops. Mine had never been used and I was able to talk them down a lot.
Paige

Unknown said...

I'm sorry about your sewing machine. I'm sure after so many good years together it's hard to give it up :) I wish you were nearby so you could teach me how to use my sewing machine! My mother-in-law bought me one for Christmas and I'm really excited about it, but I'm nervous about all those little knobs and buttons. She actually taught me a lot while I was home over the summer, but doing it on my own? I guess it never hurts to try. I hope one day to be as attached to mine as you are to yours. Maybe I'll even figure out how to make useful things like table clothes and curtains. Good luck with your Bernina!