Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Speaking of New Albums...

...Does anyone remember the band Radiohead?

Radiohead has announced the release of their new album, In Rainbows.

The big news is that the are releasing the album themselves, without signing with a record label. It will be exclusively available from the bands website beginning tomorrow (Oct. 10th).

Now here's the even bigger news. They are allowing fans (and non-fans alike, for that matter) to download the album and pay whatever price they deem reasonable. That is correct. If the download is worth $2 to me, then I pay $2. If it's worth $10 to me then I can pay $10. If it is not worth anything to me, then I can pay nothing.

This is a very big deal, since no other big name musical act has ever done anything like it.


Perhaps you've never heard of Radiohead.

Maybe you have heard of them.

You may know them as that 90's band that had that hit song "Creep".

Or you may remember some other popular songs they had in the 90's such as "High and Dry", "Fake Plastic Trees", or "Karma Police".

You may also know that they released an album in 1997 called OK Computer, that is regarded by many to be one of the finest albums of the 90's (or of any decade).

You could have heard that they drastically changed their sound in 2000 when they released Kid A. This album, with it's more electronic based sound, also received massive critical acclaim. It is widely held to be one on the best albums of the 00's.

There is a chance that you may have heard of Amnesiac (2001) and Hail to the Thief (2003). Their two most recent albums are each a mixed bag of excellent to merely interesting tracks.

Maybe you hate Radiohead. Maybe you love them. Maybe you used to like them. Maybe you've never heard of them. Maybe you have heard of them and are interested in what the hype is all about.

It really doesn't matter what your background is with this particular band. The fact is, there is no good reason not to download In Rainbows since the price is most definitely right (whatever you want to pay!). Maybe you will like it. Maybe you won't. Maybe there will be at least one song that makes it worth your time. Maybe there won't. Since you can set your own price, there really is nothing to lose.

I myself, am a fan of Radiohead. But even if you're not, you can still be a part of history and find out what the hype is all about. And the best part is, you only have to pay whatever you want.

Click to download IN RAINBOWS

2 comments:

kelly said...

wow, I want to download it just because of the way you presented it..."maybe you do, maybe you don't".
I do know Radiohead AND I want to see what the hype is. Hey, the price is right!

Unknown said...

Yeah, reading over that post, I sound like I'm some kind of salesman or something. I assure you that I am not in the employ of the band.

In reality I have never even heard this album so I offer no guarantees that it will even be good.