Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Some Sad News

I don't want to trump James' DC adventures in any way, but something has slowly been burning a hole in the pit of my stomach for the past day and I just have to post it on here. I wish we only ever had good news to blog about, but oh well.

On Monday night we got a call from Steysi Biggs. She told us that LaDonna Counihan's little brother John had been in a car accident and was brain dead. Over the past day and a half we've learned only a little more, through an article in the paper. The family did take him off life support either last night or this morning and he died.

For the first time I am missing the Counihans for completely unselfish reasons. I wish I could wrap my arms around LaDonna and be there for her the way her family has always supported us. If you are near their family, please do so for us. John was only 19 and preparing to go on a mission. It seems the Lord had a slightly different call in mind for him. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Hancocks and the Counihans. We only wish we could be there too.

For those interested, a memorial service for John Hancock will take place at 11am this Friday (Oct. 19) at the following location:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
287 Poet Smith Dr.
Auburn, CA 95603
(530) 885-5060

2 comments:

kelly said...

Desta and James, I am terribly sorry to hear about John. I remember him from when we would go to LaDonna's house, years ago. He was just about 6 or 7 and such a cutie. I am sorry to hear the sad news. I know you are right, the Lord has other plans for him as hard as it is for everyone here. I haven't been in touch with LaDonna for a very long time, but please will you send her my love and let her know I'm thinking about her and Ben and the Hancock family.

Jennifer (Fern) said...

I don't know what to say. My condolences to the Hankock family, I can only imagine what they must be going through! We send our love and prayers.