Saturday, October 6, 2007

Chance Meeting

On Wednesday we picked up Desta's mom at the airport and spent the afternoon doing the Temple Square thing. Our first stop was the Church History Museum (since it was right next to where we parked). We've all been there before of course, but it's nice to go back since there is way too much to see there all at once.

Anyway, I digress. As we were looking at the new display of a re-creation of the Tabernacle roof trusses, who should chance to walk past but my old seminary teacher, Sister Bonnie McCauley. I instantly recognized her and said, "Sister McCauley, do you remember me?" She looked slightly confused at first. "James Gillice," I said. She immediately remembered me once she knew my name. (I have found that people who knew me in High School sometimes have trouble recognizing me now. This confuses me as I am sure I still look pretty much the same, right?)

When I was in this woman's class I was not even a member of the Church. In fact the only reason I was there at 6:00 in the morning is because Travis would knock on my bedroom window and wake me up and "force" me to go.

So we talked about my life and what has transpired in the years since I've seen her. We talked about all of my old friends and what they are doing now, and about my sister Fern (Sister McCauley said to say "Hi"). It was kind of a surreal experience. I can't remember the last time I saw this woman. It was good to see her. It was also a nice reminder of how much my life has changed since joining the Church and what a good decision that was so many years ago.

Thanks Sister McCauley and to everyone else who helped me get to that point in my life. Your work and patience were not in vain.

4 comments:

Marie said...

I LOVE running into old friends! It's the best feeling. I love it that Travis would wake you up at 6:00 in the morning every day and make you go to seminary. What a great friend. You were always a great guy though. You've always had a good heart.

I remember in Sunday School class one time when Kelly and I were visiting. The teacher wanted us to do some role playing. You volunteered to be the member talking to a "non-member" about something at school. It seemed so ironic since you weren't baptized yet, but I think you were a Mormon at heart.

Anyway, how fun to see your seminary teacher. Maybe it wasn't a "chance meeting". You know it's a small world when you're a member of the church.

kelly said...

and how happy we are that you went to her class every day at 6:00 a.m. Good Job! You have had so many great examples to follow and so many people pulling for you. Actually, I had to stop and remember that you WEREN'T a member when I met you. It always seemed like you were.
I was trying to show Ryan a picture of you from high school and I found a good one! You will laugh. I will send it to you when the scanner is hooked up. It's hilarious and always made me laugh.
You don't look THAT different...well, you don't look starving like you did in high school.

kelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer (Fern) said...

No you haven't changed much since high school: besides losing some hair, and a couple of "fan clubs"; who's only aspiring dream was to call the house a million times(and then hang up, as soon as you'd answer) just to hear the dulcet tones of your voice! But it was fine with me once I got the knack of figuring out who actually wanted to be my friend and who just wanted to "hang out" at my house to get a glimpse of my older brother!!
("Hi" back Sis. MaCauley! She also was Josh's Seminary teacher! Like Marie said: It's a small Mormon World after all!