Tuesday, August 19, 2008

"It's An Open Invitation to Make Noise With Your Face"

If you haven't noticed, James and I love music. We are particularly fond of the Wilco variety. We especially like hearing live music, and yesterday we were able to be passionate about both at the same time. Translation: Wilco played Salt Lake and we were totally there! They had been touring for quite some time, but without ever stopping close enough to us. In April I had made up my mind that we would drive to San Francisco and shell out $300 each for festival tickets since they were making an appearance. A few weeks later they announced a show in Salt Lake. I got my hopes up. Then tickets for the show sold out in a matter of hours, without us obtaining any. I know! I scoured the internet pretty much daily until about 2 weeks ago extra tickets started popping up and we nabbed some. James' boss kindly offered to watch Zoe for us so I dropped her off and away we went.

The show was amazing. Wilco never disappoints - as a side note, it was very fitting that they came so close to our anniversary as we danced to Far, Far Away at our reception and we saw them in concert four years ago, shortly after we were married. Anyway, the show was at Red Butte Gardens and Fleet Foxes opened for them. It was the perfect night.

When Wilco started their set we made our way to the front and were literally yards from the band. I loved every second. They played a great set, taking a lot of music off of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost is Born, which are my favorite albums. Don't get me wrong, I love Sky Blue Sky, their newest material, but I was glad that the show didn't consist entirely of that album with only a few other things thrown in here and there. They didn't play our song, but they really didn't play any of their slower stuff. It was pretty much a rock show from beginning to end. They did play my all-time favorite (and all-around most perfect song) Jesus, Etc. and that was great. The title of this post is what Jeff Tweedy said when he told everyone to sing along with the song. That man is some kind of entertainer. I just love to watch him...

The only downer of the evening was that security was pretty on top of things as far as taking pictures and recording the show. We saw several concert-goers get a stern reprimand for doing such and the guards were always on the lookout. So I only got a couple seconds of footage here and there and a few not-so-great shots.

The whole evening was just great. Too great. Today I don't feel like it really happened. Especially since it is 9:00 and Zoe is still asleep. I must be in some alternate universe.

1 comment:

Erin said...

It was a perfect day for you, wasn't it? A date without kids (well, without one kid) and your favorite group? Good for you. I hope cloud nine can last for a while!