Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My Newly Discovered Super Power

If you've ever been pregnant (or been around a pregnant lady) you know all about those heightened pregnancy senses - smell, taste, hearing, sensitivity to temperature. Last night I discovered a new one - the ability to detect power outages.

At 3:24 am the power in our neighborhood went out. I know because I woke up right when it went out and I checked the time on James' cell phone. How does one detect power outages when one should be dead asleep in the middle of the night? I have no idea. All I know is that I woke up to a very dark room (since the outside lights had gone out as well) and I saw James' phone light up - since it had been on the charger and that's what it does when it's disconnected. Then I suddenly felt hot and noticed that the ceiling fan was off. I looked around and all the clocks were blank. Then I heard the beeping from our computer's surge protector, which also serves as a back-up power source. The power was out for about 15 minutes.

How crazy is that? It took me forever to go back to sleep, but I'm glad I woke up so we knew to reset our alarms. Maybe next time I'll get super speed...

2 comments:

Erin said...

I bet your super power woke you, and then you realized you had to pee, and then your hip hurt from sleeping on your side, and then you were hot since the fan wasn't blowing. I've been pregnant before -- I know how it goes!

Romney Family said...

That is really cool that you woke up when that happened. Let me know your email address and I will email you my address. I don't want to give it to you over the blog.