Thursday, August 14, 2008

Boise and Birthdays

Whew! I am getting way behind around here. We took our "staycation" on the road and had an actual mini-vacation over the weekend. We had a friend getting married in Boise and another friend willing to drive with us and split gas money, so away we went. Previously I've avoided similar wedding trips as James and "the boys" have an all-day bachelor party involving golf, video games, and movies and I would be left to fend for myself in an unfamiliar city, usually without transportation - but this time I had an ace up my sleeve. I have an old roommate who lives in Boise and had a spare room for me and Zoe to stay in so we tagged along and spent the weekend with her. She even watched Zoe so I could go to the temple ceremony and the lunch afterwards. It was basically the only vacation we've taken since Zoe was born that has FELT like a vacation for me. Thanks so much Paige! To sweeten the deal, my copy of Breaking Dawn arrived just before we were about to leave so I had plenty of entertainment in the car (although I have mixed feelings about the book itself. I know others feel similarly).

We got back Sunday afternoon and since then we've just been playing catch up. Then yesterday was my birthday. James made me breakfast and Zoe and I spent the afternoon at the pool. The best (and so far only) present I got was that I finally found tickets to the sold out Wilco concert on Monday. We had to drive up to northeast Salt Lake City to pick them up, but at least they are ours. We were starting to give up hope of going. While we were out there, we decided to drop in on some friends and check out their new place. So not too exciting, but it seems that my birthdays never are. Plus I don't really see anything exciting about turning 25. Yech. But I did set aside some money for an Ikea trip and fixing my sewing machine, so I am happy. Craving a smoothie, but that's beside the point.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

YESTERDAY WAS YOUR BIRTHDAY?! What a schmuck I am for seeing you and not knowing. I'm leaning toward being quite upset at James for not saying anything. We would have done something cool if we had known, even if it was just going to the Jamba Juice down the road to do something about your apparent smoothie craving. Sheesh! I'm so SAD I didn't know!

Um, but happy belated birthday! :)

Romney Family said...

what a fun trip!!! How great for you to be able to go to the wedding!! Happy belated birthday!!I am glad to here that your house is not on fire!!

Kayla said...

Happy Birthday yesterday! I think in the back of my mind I knew it was August 13, but I forgot!
Well, if you want some company at the pool again, Shelby and I would love to go sometime. It was fun and so good to see you and Zoe. We leave next Wednesday for CA, so either Monday again or not till after we get back.

Jennifer (Fern) said...

Hey, Happy Birthday! It's kind of weird to have a "Little Sister" now... only 25? Sheesh, your just a baby! Hee, hee.
Yeah, you get used not having very exciting birthdays from here on out. It's all about the kids, now. I mean, what are you gonna do? Throw a party for yourself? Come now, that'd just be pathetic... and so... no excitement. But when the kids get older, you get some sweet homemade gifts that are better than anything!
Just know, that you are loved!!

Erin said...

Uh, yeah. Me too. Sorry about forgetting about the birthday thing. Is it any consolation to say I love you and happy belated birthday? It was so great to see you. What a cute baby bump Owen is!