Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Movin' On Up


Alright, enough beating around the bush. Let's just get everything out in th open:

Yes, we are moving. Here are all the details, or at least the ones I feel comfortable posting for all the world to see:

We are in the process of buying a townhouse in Payson, 20 minutes south of Orem. We started looking at the beginning of the year hoping to be in a place by late spring. We fell in love with Payson and found a great little place in our price range and in the part of town where we wanted to be. The house itself is 3 bedrooms, 1 1/2 baths, just over 1300 square feet (nearly double what we live in now), has a fairly large back patio that opens onto a huge field, two bay windows - one in the kitchen creating a nice nook and one in the living room - and great storage space (a storage unit in the back, a full attic, and a crawl space). It is really almost everything we were looking for. The only thing it lacks is a garage, though it does have covered parking, and most units with a garage were out of our league.

The location is absolutely perfect. On one side we have baseball fields (with a playground) and on the other side is a nature preserve (with a playground). Did I mention the $5.5 million dollar water/skate park that is being built half a mile away? All this and I am still under 2 miles from a Wal-mart - which also happens to be one of the newest, non-crowded Wal-marts in the valley. We've also heard that Payson canyon has some great spots for camping.


James and I both hail from relatively small towns and feel just a bit too crowded in the Orem/Provo area. It's so strange to us that you can get more house for your money by moving FURTHER away from all the bustle. That suits us just fine. We are excited to be in a more "quaint" town that boasts of such community events as Onion Days and the Scottish Festival. We are literally going to be in heaven (and I truly am not trying to be sarcastic in any way).

OK, so I do have to point out that we will really miss our neighbors and friends in our current ward. I think people are pretty perplexed that we are moving because it has nothing to do with a job, school, or family. We're not even waiting until the end of a semester! We are simply moving because we can. We can afford a house payment and we want to build some equity before we move out of Utah (presumably in another 5 years or so). We have been so blessed in the apartments we've rented and the people who we've come in contact with. Many of them have already moved on with their lives and we are excited to be doing the same. I feel like there needs to be some sort of ceremony or ritual, like for graduation, only without the silly hats. So now there is nothing left to do but gather boxes and make the most out of our last month in the first place we've ever lived as a married couple.

Speaking of making the most of our time here - let me invite all of our female readers (who live in the area) to girl's night out this Friday. We'll be hitting the dollar theater (in Orem) and seeing Enchanted at 7:20. Be there!

18 comments:

Erin said...

I'll be there (at the dollar theatre in Orem)! Well, I won't really, so save a seat for me so I can be there in spirit. Awww. And congrats again on the house. Now you'll know how it feels to move out of the ward you've grown to love. Don't even feel embarrassed if you shed a tear or two. I didn't (feel embarrassed, that is).

Kayla said...

That's so exciting for you guys! I have cousins and aunts and uncles in Payson and they all really love it down there. It is a small town. Payson Canyon is really beautiful too. I went canoing there once. There's also a really good restaurant there, I'll find out the name of it and let you know. I can't remember what it's called.

Amanda said...

Congratulations! What an exciting time. Enjoy your new digs! Payson sounds like the perfect location (I'm a small town gal myself).

Jennifer (Fern) said...

We're so excited for you all! Payson sounds perfect! And it sounds like there'll even be room if we decide to come visit! What an accomplishment, to be able to have your money going towards your own place! And you can do anything (paint, remodel, etc...) to it that you want! It's such a nice feeling when all the effort, sacrifice, and hard work really pay off! Good job!

Melissa said...

K, you officially have the cutest blog ever and the cutest daughter after mine :) Where did she get all that hair!!!? So, how do I make my blog cute like yours?

Nicole said...

Payson is a really nice place, I'm sure you'll love it. Dave coached high school football for a year there and he absolutely loved it! They haven't had a winning season for over 30 years but the whole town still comes out for the games. Quaint :)

Cyndi said...

HORRAY! thats so exciting! but now how will we ever see eachother! i mean, a whole extra 20 minutes! J/K but we do need to get together sometime, little Zoe is growing up so fast!

Kiki said...

I think that Payson was my favorite place to live! We love Payson and if we could find somewhere like it here we would move there in a heartbeat...so why don't we move there?....'cuz it's cold! you're still going to freeze your butt off there. We can't wait to see it (even if it is only digitally). Congratulations I'm so excited for you!!!

Marie said...

I wish I could be there for the girls night out! Will you have a male chaperon with you just in case a male reader arrives? I'm excited for your move. I love moving!

Will you help me please? I'm trying to do a countdown ticker until our local election in April and I can't find one I like. What did you use for your countdown to nursery? Thanks Desta.

kelly said...

wow, your new place sounds like a dream. It'll be so fabulous to be paying mortgage and not RENT. CONGRATULATIONS you guys!!!

Ella said...

Howdy. My email address is ellajespersen@gmail.com, and matt's is mattjespersen@gmail.com. Pretty creative, I know.

Walnut said...

im really upset. PAYSON!!!!! Oh sure you say we'll still hang out, its no big deal. People rarely come to dinner when they have to put chains on the car and drive 600 miles to get there. see if i ever come to visit you (unless of course you get some fourwheelers for that big open field)

With love,
Wally

Unknown said...

Wow! Congratulations guys! What a wonderful place to live. You really did find a piece of heaven. I love smaller towns too. They're perfect for getting away from the bustle. And with Walmart being so close? It can't get any better. I miss Walmart. Food here is just too expensive, even with the commissary. It sounds like the parks next door will provide hours of enjoyment. We're so happy for you!

Alisha said...

YEAH! Isn't it so excited to be moving to a place you can call your own? I am way excited for you and expect tons of pictures of your new house once you move...inside and out!

Leslie said...

Okay, now that you posted pictures, I'm officially jealous. I can only promise to put my rage on hold long enough to enjoy the movie tonight. After that, it's back on!

Kimberly said...

Awesome, Desta! I think you'll be living pretty close to my aunt in Payson.

The house is soo pretty!

Right now we're fixing up our townhouse a bit and hoping to be in a real house soon. Too bad most houses out here are really junky and not well-kept. I'm sure we'll find one that is though, eventually!

Romney Family said...

Desta, I am so excited for you guys and can I say a little envious but none the less I am happy that you guys found a place and I am sure you are going to love it. We will miss you guys though!!

April said...

I know exactly where that is, I use to pass it all the time when I went to that Wal-mart from Salem. Carl still has some residual feelings towards Payson (high school rivalry), but now we will come visit you for sure this summer when we come to Salem. Congratulations on the house and the baby! By the way, I have some great pictures of you James dressed as a girl that I will post soon...and others that may or may not be appropriate for the web.