Saturday, February 23, 2008

MINE!!

We own our car! Hooray! James just got back from using a significant portion of our tax return to pay off the last bit of the Pilot. So we are technically debt free (besides deferred student loans). And we plan on staying that way for about 3 more weeks, when we will have to start paying on our house. At least that is more of an investment than an SUV (although we love love love love everything about our car). One thing we didn't love was not owning the car. James and I both owned our cars before we bought the Pilot so it felt weird to not have the title and to send money to the bank each month for it. Today we are giving ourselves a big pat on the back for paying off the family car of our dreams in less than two years. It was really worth all the sacrifice and now we are totally prepared to start making house payments. Hooray Financial Security!

9 comments:

Kimberly said...

I looove the color of your car. Right now, we have a Truck and a Honda Prelude (my car- a sporty one, very squishy). We want to sell mine and buy a family car. Most likely one that runs on natural gas - can't beat paying $7 dollars for a full tank!

If you guys want to move to West Jordan, you can buy our townhouse :P. We are actually thinking of buying a home, where we don't share a wall with our neighbors. It's hard to find a decent one in old neighborhoods though.

LaDonna and Ben said...

Did I read that correctly, did you say in about 3 weeks you will be paying on your house. I want serious details.

Erin said...

I bet it feels great to be debt free...the good thing is that you won't get used to the "extra" money you would be getting by not paying on the Honda every month; you'll just be putting it straight toward the house, so it will be like upgrading big time without actually straining your budget too much. Did that huge run on sentence make any sense to you??? Congratulations anyway, both on paying off the SUV and on getting a place.

The Green's said...

I think you should post your cilantro lime ranch dressing recipe and Jessie's refriend bean recipe...or you should email it to me. Congrats on paying your car off. I've never made a car payment...maybe cause I've never had a nice car.

Unknown said...

Congrats on paying your car off! You guys are definitely living right. What's this about buying a house? you can't leave us hanging.

Leslie said...

You guys are awesome money-managers. I love the feeling of really owning your car--even if it's leaning toward becoming a piece of junk (referring to ours, and not yours, of course)!

Marie said...

Good job! I LOVE being DEBT FREE! We made a plan to pay off our house in 5 years. We've stuck to it and have been a little squished but will reach our goal this year!!!! I seriously love budgeting and paying bills....am I weird or what?

Walnut said...

I love that the pilot is named Blue Steel. classic.

Deneal said...

YAHOO! I'm all about no debt.

And by the by, I just love the labels you put on your posts.