Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Music Snobs Anonymous: Junior Edition

I guess you can't be a music snob without imposing your beliefs on your children. There's no easy way to say this, so I'll just blurt it out: I hate most "kid" music. It's annoying and gets stuck in my head and is usually more worthless than worthwhile. That said, I do try to incorporate music into Zoe's day. I usually stick to basic songs - "Do as I'm Doing," "The Itsy Bitsy Spider," and various other tunes that we make up throughout the day. When it comes to listening to music for pleasure, we expect Zoe to listen to whatever we like. Whether I have the stereo blasting while fixing dinner or on a road trip, we don't pander.

Which is just one more reason to love the show Yo Gabba Gabba. In case you missed it, Friday's episode featured The Shins on the Super Music Friends Show.



James and I love The Shins and have been meaning to feature them on MSA for some time now. I love that there is a kids show out there that isn't afraid to use good music. Sure, the lyrics are simple, but it's better than anything I've ever heard on Dora, Barney, Backyardigans, or any other show of that nature. What would you expect from a show created by members of the Aquabats?

In other Jr. Snob related business, I just wanted to show you all the coolest set of CD's ever. This company - Rockabye Baby - takes rock music and turns it into lullabies. Now, to be honest, most of this music I would just play outright for my kids, but I love this concept. They have country CD's as well, but I'm not so much into that genre, although one volume is all older music- Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylen Jennings, etc - and I totally dig that.

4 comments:

Erin said...

We've never watched Yo Gabba Gabba at our house. I may have to start recording it. And that cd looks really cool. I love music!

Jennifer (Fern) said...

They Might Be Giants make some darn fun kid music as well!
But I agree, most kid music is just plain obnoxious. We have received some pretty awful kid music CD's in our time, but we'll let the kids listen to it on a portable CD player with earphones, they love that!

Deneal said...

I've heard of Yo Gabba Gabba but never seen it. I had no idea Aquabats is behind it. Now I definitely have to see it. (I loved Aquabats in high school!)

Deneal said...

And I have to agree that They Might Be Giants Here Come the ABCs/123s is pretty entertaining....and characteristically weird at times.