Friday, May 9, 2008

Just One of THOSE Days

I guess this story would begin with some friends visiting from Sweden. We decided to get together in Provo, where they were staying with family, to have a nice dinner. "Having a nice dinner" for me meant I had to start cooking around 3:00 so I could be in the car around 4:30 to get gas, pick James up from work and then meet our friends in South Provo. All was going fairly well and we were only mildly behind schedule when Zoe started getting restless in her carseat. She had been in it for a while and despite our assurances that we were almost there, she would not relax. About a block away from our destination, Mount Zoe blew her top, spewing forth it's contents (which of late included strawberry milk, toast, cottage cheese, and a vast amount of Goldfish crackers).

What great timing she has. I ran our contribution to dinner into the house and got some plastic bags and paper towels in return. We cleaned Zoe up as best as we could by removing every article of clothing (in the rain, poor kid) and wiping her face off, then proceeded to enjoy our dinner as best as we could. Fortunately for us, our friends were staying with family that happened to live about 1 block from our good friends the Namanny's. After dinner we carted our pukey kid -and car- there and did a surface clean on the carseat and borrowed a towel so Zoe didn't have to sit in her own filth. At home she went straight into the bath and then I literally hosed down her clothing and carseat before throwing everything in the washing machine. I am so thankful we bought a hose last week! At one point in our evening, I actually thought of googling "the best way to clean vomit off a carseat". It made me feel like a mom.

The next day brought no relief. Zoe only puked the one time (I think she was car sick) but I still had the aftermath to deal with. Scrubbing the carseat and straps, spraying anything that still remotely smelled putrid, etc. Before I knew it, it was time to fix dinner again. No biggie, right?

Within about 20 minutes I had to juggle 2 phone calls (a record since we moved), making lasagna, a toddler begging for toast, convincing said toddler to have yogurt while the toast was cooking, said toddler flinging said yogurt onto walls and windows, and melting a plastic cutting board onto a burner. Then I looked at the clock and realized James wouldn't be home for nearly an hour. Then I gritted my teeth and pressed on.

As soon as Zoe was finished eating/making a yogurt mural on her tray, I kicked her outside. After I was finished salvaging dinner, ridding our house of smoke, and discarding the ruins of our cutting board, I joined her outside. There I found that she had transferred a good amount of soil from one of our flower boxes to her doll stroller and also buried her Minnie Mouse PLUSH doll in the flower box itself. And she had a poopy diaper. Then I heard James drive up and I shoved the whole happy mess onto him. It kinda brings a whole new meaning to the song "I'm So Glad When Daddy Comes Home."

There is only one more incident to round out these two days. Zoe was finally in bed, the kitchen was clean and James and I were sitting down to watch Survivor. With ice cream no less. As I finished my ice cream and went to set the bowl down, I noticed that I had a few ice cream drippings on the back of my hand. Being who I am, I licked it off, only to instantly realize that it wasn't ice cream but dish soap. The super-concentrated, foamy kind that in very dim light looks like ice cream dippings but, unfortunately for my taste buds, still tastes like dish soap. I gagged, ran to the bathroom and did my best to dispel the awful taste from my mouth. I have no words to describe the crappiness that has been my life for the past two days. Yet at the same time, my bad luck/timing has been so concentrated that it is actually laughable. So here I am, yukking it up, hoping you all will join with me.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

This post needs photos.

I'm sure people would love to see a Minnie Mouse plush doll half buried in a garden box, or what a melted cutting board looks like, or vomit on the front console of our car (but wait, wasn't Zoe sitting in the back seat? Does the word "projectile" mean anything to you?)...the list goes on.

Romney Family said...

Oh, Desta I am so sorry!! Vomit has got to be the worst thing to have to clean up and especially when it happens when you are suppose to be somewhere!! I hope that this next week will go more smoothly for you!!

Leslie said...

Ah, momhood. Remember when Emma had a southern BLOWOUT in Zoe's high chair? That was awesome. And a few months ago, just as we had driven about 35 miles to go to lunch with my grandma who was visiting from Delaware, Emma threw up all over herself, the car seat, and the CAR. There was not a dry inch within a three-foot radius. We never even took her out. We just pulled right back out of our parking spot and went home. Cleaning puke out of a car seat is THE WORST. I am so sorry you've been having some rough days. Sounds like what you need is a couple of days off to read "The Host." (Have you yet, by the way?)

Amy said...

Sorry for being a bad blogging friend, but I was laughing so hard that tears were running down my face by the time I reached the end of this posting. James' comment set off another round of shrieking guffaws.
I think this is so funny to me because I relate so well. :D

Anonymous said...

I love your Blog, I feel like I get to know Zoe and Desta better even if we don't see you very often. I just had the best laugh, takes me back a few years. I love Zoe's action video's. we check blog every day to check on what your all doing. you new home is so nice can't wait to see it.Love you all. Grandma Bea

Erin said...

Wow. You really are a mom, aren't you? And you write horribly disgusting things with such...flair. I just get frustrated and don't bother with the details. I have been thinking about you lately, and wondering how you are doing. I'm sorry to hear that the response is "pretty crappy." Good luck. Hopefully three hours of Survivor will be a reprieve. Just don't eat ice cream while watching tomorrow!

Kayla said...

Oh man...that's not fun. And I'm sorry about the dish soap! If it makes you feel any better (probably not, but hopefully will make you laugh) I once accidentally put icy hot on my tooth brush. It was when I was roommates with Erin. She had a generic brand of icy hot. It had a big round cap that it stood on and it looked like a tube of toothpaste. I was using her bathroom to brush my teeth as mine was being used by another roommate. I started brushing my teeth immediately thinking "This tastes terrible!" Then my mouth started tingling/burning. I ran to the cupboard, only to realize I had used icy hot NOT toothpaste. It was the most disgusting thing ever.

Ryan Southwell said...

This is Kelly...not Ryan.

I'm totally feeling for you on the puke/car seat situation. Terrible. Too many nooks and crannies to clean out! (and it seems to STILL smell, no matter how many times you've washed it). Sorry about the yucky week, I can relate.
the dish soap in the mouth...Nasty! (I once had to punish myself for saying "stupid" while I was on the phone and the kids heard me, and reminded me I needed to wash out my mouth. ) YUCK!! There are just no words to describe it's taste.

Cathy Jo said...

Desta, you're not the first mother to lick something off of your hand. Here is my story.
JoAnne was just a nursing newborn. One day I was changing her yellow mushy diaper (remember how the diaper was when you were nursing). Just after I cleaned her up and was putting away wipes, etc. I saw that I had mustard on the back of my hand. I began to lick it off. Fortunately, when my hand was about 1" from my mouth, I suddenly realized that it was not mustard but sweet, yellow baby pooo. That was a close one!
Cathy/MOM/Grandma Cathy

Melissa said...

Wow, I'm sorry you had such a rough 2 days. . .no fun!!

Jennifer (Fern) said...

If I got a nickel for every time I had to clean up vomit... I'd be a rich woman! One can always dream... although I don't think a nickel is nearly enough of a payback for that so-nasty-words-cannot-fully-describe-the-awefullness business!
Glad you pulled through, you're a champ!

Deneal said...

Oh yuck. Not fun at all. You are a saint for laughing about it all.