Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Redefining "Short"

Today I'm reaching out to anyone with ANY background in hair cutting/styling. What magic words do I speak to get someone to cut my hair shorter than my chin? No matter what I say or ask for, I generally get the same cut and it is always a little longer than I wanted, especially in the back.

I got a cut right before Thanksgiving that was particularly bad. I wanted my hair short. Shorter than it had ever been before. I ended up with an a-line (in the loosest sense of that term - it looks more like I cut a chunk of gum out of the back of my hair blindfolded) and the longest layers go 2 inches past my chin, despite telling them that I didn't want anything past my chin. Plus, by the time they've mangled my hair into a medium length cut, nearly 2 hours have gone by and I have hungry kids and a grumbly husband who will now have to miss his class. GRRR! The worst part is that it took so much effort and coordination to actually go out and get it cut that I just don't see being able to repeat the process in the near future. And I was really looking forward to having a cute cut for the holidays.

So, what do I do? My hair is deceptively thick and grows so fast but when I ask for a short hair cut I can never get more than 4 inches taken off. Which is just not enough for me. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommended (and affordable) stylists? Keep in mind I have used the following tactics to no avail:
  • Bringing in pictures of desired length/style
  • Saying "Cut it all off"
  • "I want it REALLY short"
  • "The longest layer should come to my chin"
  • "Don't be afraid to go TOO short"
  • "Take off at least 5 or 6 inches"
  • "I want it short in the back"
Basically the only thing I haven't done is tell them to buzz it. I'm guessing most stylists are afraid of cutting it too short and when there's a huge pile of hair on the floor they figure it's short enough. Not for this lady. This is my plea for HELP!

12 comments:

RazakFamily said...

I'd cut it for you :)

Erin said...

I have said, "I want the hairs at the nape of my neck so short you can't even pinch them afterward." It worked pretty well.

I want a cute haircut for Christmas time too. Here's hoping we both get what we want!

Jilly Bean said...

Aah, hair frustrations. It can be so hard to give a hairdresser the correct idea of what you have in mind. Sorry, I have no magic words to share. Good luck. When you find a good stylist, keep her!

Jennifer (Fern) said...

I just read an excellent book by the hair stylist Nick Arrojo called "Great Hair". It had some amazing insights and pictures... and for the first time in my life I know how to make my hair do what I've always wanted! (Check your local library)
I know that it won't help with your hair cut problem, but maybe it can help you feel more comfortable with the hair cut you're stuck with. which is one of the reasons I NEVER go to a salon, let alone pay anyone for a hair cut! (Of course it helps to have a stylist as my mother in law... although I always get the same cut, too...)

Leslie said...

I wish I had a stylist for you. I actually have similar issues with "hairdressers" (and there's a post in the works), except they always cut too much off. I ask for two inches and they cut off six.

Kayla said...

Kylene Kelly does hair. I'm going to have her do mine probably. Do you know her from the ward? Maybe if it was someone you knew. Also, tell them your story that nobody ever listens to you.

Heather said...

my cousin does hair and she is the only one i trust with my hair. She lives in Pleasent Grove. let me know if you want her number.

rich and steph said...

I live in Mesa, AZ and not Payson, Utah (which my dad grew up in Santaquin and my uncle still lives there-small world:)). I used to have the same problem. After the birth of each kid I wanted shorter hair that was easier to style (and i have 5 kiddos). I finally solved the problem by not leaving the chair and saying "it is not short enough, you have to cut off more here, does not look like the picute, etc". It finally worked and I now have a lady at great cuts that has been cutting my hair and actually gets what I say. Hang in there!!

Melinda Ford said...

LOL!!! Desta you are too funny! I used to get a lot of bad haircuts until I started going to Julie at Modify Salon in Orem. She is AMAZING!!! I love her...but she costs 35$ plus tip. Just an option :) Can't imagine you ever looking bad though! Good luck!

Connie said...

Hey, talk to Kylene Kelly. 787-7356 she is a hair stylist but I forgot what salon she works at so that is her cell. She cuts mine!

Cristine said...

Okay so I hate finding someone to cut my hair, but right before we left Provo I found this girl her name is Jana and she works at "Salon on the Avenue" in Provo. I only got to go twice but she was good. Good luck! Cristine

Ella said...

I have the opposite problem. No shorter than this, and then it's all whacked off. But my only thought on your dilemma is that they are cutting is as short as the can in the back (right at your hair line) and then in order to make it longer in the front they end up having to make the diagonal end longer than your chin. Good luck.