Saturday, June 20, 2009

CSI: Mommies

Friday afternoon, as Zoe and I sat on the front steps painting each others' toenails, a white mustang parked in front of our house and out popped a man with a gun. And a badge.

As he hurried across our lawn, he told us, "I shouldn't be here too long. I'm just going to try and arrest your neighbors."

My reply:

"Please do."

The Backstory:

About a month ago James and I noticed our neighbors attracting unwelcome attention. There were cars and "suspicious" looking people coming in and out of the house all day long.

Now, for nearly three and a half years we lived a mere stone's throw away from a cul-de-sac affectionately nicknamed "Felon Circle" so James and I can spot shady behavior with the best of them. We knew something fishy was going on.

I started sharing my theories with some neighbors across the street (since they could get a better look at the goings on) and though I think at first I was regarded as paranoid, soon my views were shared.

A few of us put in calls to dispatch, recorded license plate numbers, and generally kept our eyes open.

The result was the scene on our lawn as previously described. The two men staying at the house next door (whether they are actually renting is yet unknown) are fugitives with a warrant out for their arrest. The police missed them this time, but I'm hoping they catch them soon. The detective gave us his cell phone number so we can call if either of these gentlemen show their faces again.

Our case isn't quite closed, but at least it's in the hands of professionals (along with some semi-automatic weapons). I hope no one takes for granted the safety of the area you live in. If you're not watching closely, it can be gone before you know it was even threatened. Even in "Zion."

Now when I sit outside, chatting up my neighbor, watching the kids run up and down the sidewalk I can smile as I think, "Not only am I having a great time - I'm fighting crime as well!"

6 comments:

Leslie said...

In PAYSON?! Who would have thought? Way to fight crime, Desta.

P.S. WAY cute family picture. Where did you get it done?

P.P.S. Come hang out with us anytime! Let me know when your upcoming vacations are, and we'll plan around those.

Amy said...

Ok, I want you for MY neighbor!

Erin said...

I was going to say - I thought you moved AWAY from felonious type places.

And I love how you call them "gentle"men. That is very kind of you.

Here's hoping they get arrested sooner rather than later!

Jennifer (Fern) said...

Woah! That reminds me of the time our next door neighbors in Bend got held hostage in their home! Yikes!

Cristine said...

That's crazy..hopefully they either A get caught or B never reappear. I really like your family picture!

Kimberly said...

Nice that your city police are doing their jobs. We have druggies at the end of our dead-end street. It's a dead end street and cars come and go constantly. It's so obvious. They have more important things to do then take away small profile druggies.