Saturday, October 4, 2008

The REST of The Story....

Here goes....

Sunday night I started having contractions but it was nothing major - not very painful and not regular. So I figured something might be starting to happen, but I still thought we had plenty of time, maybe even days. Around 11:30 they started getting pretty regular and intense but I didn't want to get turned away by the hospital like we did with Zoe so I decided to tough it out a while longer. At 1 am - after contractions had been 3 minutes apart and hard to talk through for hours- I decided we should probably head to the hospital. We packed up the last few things and started calling our friends to take care of Zoe. We jumped in the car not knowing what to do with her, but we figured we should better get on the road.

Instead of stopping by our friends' house unannounced in the middle of the night (and delaying our arrival at the hospital) we decided to go straight to the hospital and figure things out there. We got in around 2 am. The first nurse that checked me told me I was at a "fingertip." I nearly slapped her. Then she had another nurse check me because "something seemed strange." The second nurse told me I was a six and asked if I knew that the baby was breech. QUE??? Absolutely no idea on that one. So that was my ticket to an automatic C-section. By the time they got me prepped and the epidural in I was completely dilated and ready to push. But of course I couldn't so I just waited "patiently" on the table for them to yank the kid out of me. At this point Zoe was who knows where and James was trying not to faint at the sight of my blood.

Soon enough Owen was here (at exactly 3 am). Only no one bothered to tell me he was out. They were too busy trying to control massive amounts of bleeding and repair a pretty gnarly tear in my uterus. Owen was so far down (because I was ready to deliver) that they literally had to pull him up and out and my uterus tore perpendicular to the incision. Owen was in pretty bad shape himself - folded completely in half, bruised, covered in prenatal poop, and having some problems breathing. After a while we were both feeling better and James took Zoe home to catch up on some sleep.

So that's enough trauma for one delivery, right? Oh it gets better. The next day was fine. I was feeling great and I had all the nurses wowed at how well I was moving around. I had an IVP (an x-ray for your kidneys) to make sure that my bladder hadn't been affected by the tear and I wasn't leaking urine anywhere. By this time I had decided that C-sections were the way to go because my recovery had been so smooth after only a day.

The results of the IVP were inconclusive so the next day I went back for more. They took pictures at every angle but still seemed a little perplexed. The day went on as normal. I was feeling great and even got a shower. That's when it all went sour. I had been out of the shower for about 2 minutes when the nurse was pounding down my door telling me that my doctor wanted to talk to me pronto. Dr. Gordon told me that there was an obstruction in my ureter and a urologist was coming to talk to me about "options." I felt like I had been side swiped. Before the doctor came the anesthegiologist already had me signing consent forms. I waited and waited for the doctor and eventually my mom came to keep me company (she drove up that day). Finally a nurse informed me that the doctor would be there in a half hour and then I would be transferred. TRANSFERRED? Yes, I was going to another hospital. To have surgury. For some unknown reason. And the nurse wasn't sure if I could take Owen with me. Of course I was livid and I had a pretty major melt down.

Eventually (hours later) the doctors came by - the doctor who delivered Owen and the urologist - and that did nothing to set my mind at ease. Apparently the block in my ureter was a suture from the repair job on my uterus. The doctor didn't want to operate at Orem Community so I had to transfer hospitals. Fortunately I was able to bring Owen with me and my mom got to take us there - otherwise I would have had to pay for an ambulance. Meanwhile, my doctor had told me not to eat in case I went into surgery that night so I hadn't eaten anything for about 9 hours. One good thing about the transfer is that I made them give me a new IV. My original one was in a tender spot and had casued a lot of bruising.

So now the adventure continues down the road at UVRMC. We were off to a bad start when my mom pulls in to unload me and the staff tells her, "Oh no, she's coming in an ambulance." And they had no idea Owen would be with us. And they had different addresses for me and James. And no admit papers for Owen. What a delight. I got a crusty sandwich and then couldn't eat again since I would be "on call" for surgery (read: they would cut me open whenever they had a few minutes to spare). James made it to the hospital the next morning just before I went under the knife. The scariest part was that the doctors didn't really know what they were going to find or how exactly they were going to fix me - though they had their theories. They ended up cutting my ureter above the stitch and reimplanting it on my bladder. Otherwise they would have had to undo the stitching on my uterus, which would have meant lots of bleeding again.

The worst part of the surgery was that the recovery nurses and orderlies completely ignored me when I woke up and I literally had NO pain medication. It took me an hour to convince anyone that I wasn't getting the right amount of medication and then another hour for the nurses to fix it. Then there were a few miscommunications between the two surgeons involved resulting in some more unneccessary discomfort. It was pretty much a nightmare all around.

Again recovery went quickly and smoothly and I was determined to get out of that place by Friday. I did, with the forces of the entire hospital working against me - forgetful nurses, multiple pharmacy mixups, etc. Now I have a few follow-up appointments with both surgeons and an increased risk for kidney infection, but at least I'm home. And the nurses gave me some lovely guilt, I mean GIFT baskets. I'm thinking we might adopt from here on out....

20 comments:

Cyndi said...

OH My Goodess!!!! what a nightmare! you poor thing! that is the worst delivery story I have heard in a while! well he is beautiful, and you look amazing considering all the trauma! hope you feel better soon!

Amanda said...

What a nightmare! Sounds so awful and frustrating. I hope you continue to heal quickly :)

Amanda said...

The lookinsharp comment is from me.
~Amanda S.

Trevor and Jamie said...

I'm sorry it was so rough! I hope you are doing well now and that everything is okay! Your son is adorable by the way!

Jason, Alyson, Kaci, Brynley & Ashlynn said...

Oh Desta I am so sorry. My emergency c-section was crazy and hectic, but no one should have to go through what you've just been through. I hope all continues to go well. Owen is adorable, and you look terrific! You'll be in our thoughts and prayers!

Kayla said...

That is a crazy scary delivery & after story! Makes me nervous for the next kid we have. I know others have offered, but if you need anything at all, holla! Dinner, whatev. I'm sure your ward will take care of you and your mom is there too but when those meals run out, we'd love to bring dinner to you. Just let me know. (James, let me know so Desta can rest.)

Unknown said...

Man that sounds like it was a terrible experience. I'm glad everything worked out well. Your baby boy is extremely handsome. Congratulations.

Steve, ToVah, Avery, and Z said...

I'm am so sorry Desta!!! I hope your recovery continues to go well. Was your doctor Dr. Gordon from Aspen Women's Center? Did he do your C-Section and everything? I was told he wasn't practicing anymore. Let me know if there is anything we can do.

Amy said...

oh man, that is horrible!! Does this mean you have to have c-sections from here on out (like if the rip perpendicular makes your uterus at increased risk for rupture?)

It sounds like you didn't have any healthcare providers step up and really advocate for you. Nurses aren't allowed to hand out any meds other than what is on their print-out, but I've seen nurses pester and badger doctors to write new prescriptions until the MD gives in---it should NOT have taken hours, that is ridiculous.
Good luck with the rest of the recovery.

Erin said...

Wow Desta, now I REALLY wish I lived closer. I hope your ward takes care of you. How long will your mom be there? How does Zoe feel about her new brother? Have you been able to get any sleep? Are you still having major pain, or are you doing okay? Maybe I should just call or e-mail you. Sheesh. Anyway, take care!

Jennifer (Fern) said...

I'm so sorry for all that you had to endure... I can't imagine the pain you must be in! The forces of evil were against you, yet you prevailed! With a sweet baby BOY (no jealousy here...ha) to boot.
Hope the recovery from here on out is less fraught with pain and frustration. Hope your all adjusting and enjoying the little bundle of joy.

miss H Wiest said...

Oh Congrats you guys! Owen is just ADORABLE! I'm so sorry Desta, I hated my c-section... ice the incesion. It makes it feel better (even though touching it hurts like a mother), not be as sore to lift that boy, and heal better. GOOD luck with 2 cute kids!!

HatchMe said...

What a freaking nightmare! I hope that I don't have to go through crap like that...I probably wouldn't handle it with much tact. I hope you recover soon and that there is not more having to deal with nurses!:) Love ya, Desta! And he is so precious!

Leslie said...

Oh my word! How terrifying. There's nothing worse than incompetent medical professionals--especially when you're in pain and at their mercy. I want to know how long your mom is staying too. I could come down one of these days and take Zoe for the day and she and Emma could play the time away. Hope you're feeling better!

Cristine said...

Congrats on Owen...My sympathy for the rest!!! I bet you're glad your mom is there! Hope all starts improving, just stay in bed and love the little guy. :)
Cristine

Nathan and Annie Miller said...

Wow Desta-you are a trooper! It sounds like you handled this complete nightmare so well! I don't think I would have done that well in that situation! I must say I haven't heard a delivery story that tops yours! I'm so sorry! I hope your recovery goes well, and that there are no further complications! Owen is a beatiful baby! Congratulations!

The Marshall Fam said...

Ok, it sounds like I am going to need to make a trip out to Utah to beat up some incompetent doctors and nurses. Or maybe James can do it.

He's a cutie, though (Owen)! And Zoe looks SO grown up!

Congrats (on the baby, not the nightmare)!!

Romney Family said...

Man~ I am so sorry you had to go through all that!! I am glad that you are home now!! Please let me know if I could do anything for you since I am so close.I am sure your mom is with you now but if you need help when she is gone don't hesitate to let me know. If you need a meal or need me to take Zoe for a couple of hours I would love to.

Marie said...

What a nightmare! This is the very reason why William won't let me deliver my babies at home....because you never know. I am amazed at your ability to recover so quickly. I hope everything goes smoothly with your follow up appointments. Aren't you glad you got a sweet little baby out of the whole deal? He is so cute!

Jilly Bean said...

Wild, Desta. I hope you're feeling better soon. Your kids are sweet.