Wednesday, October 15, 2008

HELL

I usually try to keep things upbeat and family-friendly around here but I am at a breaking point today. Remember how I was so excited to get my catheter out? Well, I failed to mention that I was less than thrilled with the doctor taking it out - I had to wait for 2 hours for my appointment, with both the kids (thankfully my mom and James were there to help) only to see the doctor for about 3 minutes. The nurse removed the thing and said the doctor was considering putting me on an antibiotic just to be safe. I said that would be a great idea since my recent operation - more like something out of Frankenstein - left me at an increased risk for kidney infection. I didn't see the doctor again and apparently he decided that an antibiotic wasn't necessary and I went home.

Fast forward to Wednesday at 1:00 am. I woke up shaking uncontrollably. After a while we called the doctor and she said it sounded like a bladder infection. I could come into her office later in the morning or go to the ER if it got worse. Once the shaking stopped thanks to a hefty dose of Motrin, I took my temperature and was running a fever of 102.3. I NEVER have fevers so we decided to go into the hospital. This time we left Zoe with a neighbor and headed out. Again at 3 am. Why can't this stuff happen during the day?

At the ER they weren't totally convinced that I had an infection because I didn't have any of the "classic" symptoms, besides the fever. The triage nurse said that my medical history was the longest she'd ever taken. I got in quickly and the doctor soon got my labs back showing "a lot of infection" and with my temperature so high if the infection wasn't in my kidneys it was headed that way. So now I have a cool IV port in my forearm and I get to go back to Provo 3 times for IV antibiotics.

We got home by 5:30 am only to have Owen wake up - he slept through all of this - and after eating he threw up pretty badly. It was coming out of his nose and then he was so congested he just cried for about 15 minutes until I could get him completely suctioned out. I spent the rest of the day sleeping in 2-hour increments, never leaving the bedroom except to use the bathroom and for my first trip for the antibiotics. Luckily we had dinner from the ward tonight and they also arranged rides to Provo for me so James can stay home with the kids.

My question is this: When will this personal hell I'm living in end? It seems like just as things are about to get back to normal I get the rug pulled out from under me. This is absolutely the worst I've felt since I woke up from surgery with no pain medication. I am so sick of doctors using me for some twisted psychological experiment - Just how much physical and emotional (and financial) trauma can we inflict on this lady? I am really reaching the point where if anything else goes wrong I am just going to fall off this mental cliff that I've been toeing the edge of lately. But I do have to thank all the amazing people who have been helping us out lately. We are quickly getting to meet a lot of people in our ward. It just stinks that my mom left one measly day before this all happened.

So I'm sorry that my posts have turned into whiney rants revolving around my medical woes. And I don't even put up pictures. How dare I! Please just cross all your fingers and keep us in your prayers that our lives might one day return to normal - or as normal as it ever is for us.

18 comments:

Susan and Shawn said...

Sounds like everything has been quite an ordeal. Hope that everything goes well and we will keep you in our prayers.

On a lighter note, you have the most adorable children!!! :D

emily said...

Sounds just awful! We will be praying for you.

kelly said...

I had no idea there was all this craziness going on! I feel so bad for you. It's hard enough to just recover from a delivery. I wish we lived close, I would love to watch Zoe for you...I know her and Ez would be great friends :).
In all seriousness, you will be in our prayers, I can't imagine this nightmare you are living. I'm sorry!

Cyndi said...

Desta! so sorry. I dont even know what else to say... hope things get better real quick!

Amanda said...

Oh no. How awful. I REALLY hope that the Drs. get it right and you start feeling better soon. You will be in our prayers for a speedy recovery.

Heather said...

Please call if you need someone to watch Zoe or if you need a break. She is always welcome at our house!!! 318-5187

Erin said...

Seriously, what is it with the incompetency of these doctors? You would think Provo would have decent ones. Do I smell a lawsuit?

I'm still wishing I was there to help...

Romney Family said...

How awful but i am sure no words that I type will make you feel better. I sure hope everything turns out ok and things get easier soon. Seriously, let me know if I can do anything for you. I am more than willing to.

Amy said...

OK, you have convinced me to NEVER have a baby in Provo. Who are these people? Why didn't they specifically spell it out--you had a catheter, therefore you need antibiotics. Shoot, I know that and I'm still a student! Catheter=infection. Catheters are the highest cause of infection in hospitals, period. Even without symptoms, if you had a catheter you're supposed to take antibiotics, hands down. You've convinced me---you're in hell. Seriously.

Kayla said...

Oh my! This makes my week sound not so bad! I hope that this all ends soon and gets back to normal. I'll be praying for you too.

Nathan and Annie Miller said...

Oh Desta, I'm so sorry! You have lots of room to rant and rave, and I don't think anyone thinks you are whiney going through all of this. We'll pray that your life gets a lot better!

Jennifer (Fern) said...

I'm so sorry your having such an ordeal! Your 2nd is suppose to be the easiest... or that was my theory until now. I hope things start improving... we'll keep you all in our prayers!

ali said...

oh desta...you poor thing. as if you need all this when welcoming home a newborn!

Marie said...

Desta, I hear ya. It seriously feels like forever to get back on your feet again. I always tell myself to give it at least two months before expecting any sort of normalcy. It slowly gets better from there. Hang in there. You're a wonderful mommy.

Anonymous said...

Desta,
I feel terrible that I can not be there to help! I have made arrange-ments to drive down with a friend from the last Wednesday of this month until the first Monday of next month. I am still training two new employees, so that I can be out of town and know that everything will be ok with my old people. I am praying for you and your family. What a terrible time you are having. The one thing I can say is that Owen is worth all of this (you may not think so yet but someday you will). I know because I had a terrible infection after my C-section with Jennifer. And she has turned out to be worth every single bad thing that happened. Owen will be your blessing just as Jen has been mine.
I will be there as soon as I can. I love you, Cathy/MOM/grandma Cathy

The Green's said...

Your baby is beautiful!! We are excited for your new addition and sad for all your pain. We'll be praying for you.

The Marshall Fam said...

Ok, seriously...this is ridiculous. Aren't there more babies born in Utah valley than anywhere else in the world? If not, I'm sure it's pretty close to the top. You would think they would have enough experience they could get something right! Wish we were closer so I could help!

Becca Shirts said...

Wow! That sucks...it will be nice when it's all over! Good luck!
Becca