Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Day In the Life...of James

James here. I thought I would hi-jack the blog back for a post or two. Desta fans please be patient, she will be back soon and I'm sure she has plenty of good stuff for you. In the meantime please enjoy this post which is sure to be way too long and full of pictures that are absolutely meaningless to you. But for those out there who may have an academic interest in what I do from day to day and hour to hour even (I'm sure there are many of you out there), this post will serve as an invaluable resource.

OK, so are you ready? Let's get started!

The alarm begins to go off at about 5:45, but this is when I rolled on out of bed. (To be fair, it did take a minute or so to find the camera and get this shot.)
I them brush my teeth and other wise get ready for the day, at this sink...
Throw on some clothes (sorry, no photos), run downstairs and eat this nutritious breakfast...
Grab my things and run out the door to see this view...
Climb into this vehicle (no, not the Pilot...Desta gets that one), my trusty '88 Prelude with it's myriad of issues (I'll save the details for another post)...
And drive down this road...
To this Park and Ride/UTA Bus Stop...
Where I catch the 808 to UVU...
The cool kids always sit in the back...
Here is one of the many scenic vistas along the way. Notice the sleepy town of Salem off in the distance...
40 minutes later, upon arriving at UVU, I walk about 30 yards across a parking lot to where this sweet machine is parked...
I drive it across campus to the new library...
And park in back at the "secret" entrance...
Going inside I come to this elevator...
Go up to the 3rd floor...
Walk down this hallway...
Come to this office...
Which contains this office (it's kind of a mess and in need of some decorating...any ideas?)...
I log onto this computer...
Go to a 2 hour meeting in this office...
Where I get this list of upcoming projects to work on (each item representing hours or days of work)...
I then went to this room on the first floor...
To work on this little mess...
At 1:00pm I drive the cart up the hill to this building...
And take this elevator to the 6th level...
To attend my Digital Audio Restoration/Audio Forensics class (taught by "Wiz": Is he insane? Probably. A genious? Possibly. Entertaining? Always.)...
We look at an old school record player that "Wiz" brought in...
Now that it's 2:30 I'm hungry, so I go to this little cafe on the first floor of the new Library...
And purchase this beautiful thing...
Later in the afternoon, along with other things, I help set up for a conference in the Timpanogos room on the 4th floor (the glass room at the far end in this photo)...
Then at 5:00pm it's time to drive the cart back to the bus stop on the other side of campus...
The bus arrives and we're off!...
It's a bit of a gloomy day but nothing that some good tunes won't help to fix...
Here's the lovely view looking South on I-15...
40 minutes later I walk through the door to see this little monster (She really was excited to see me but I didn't get a picture of that)...
I'm just in time for dinner...
Then it's time to load this bad boy...
We play with Zoe for a while before Bath/Bedtime...
Daddy does bath time every night now since Desta is a little too "with child" to be bending over that much...
Then it's pajama time...
Then Mommy reads Zoe some "stories" before we say prayers and go to sleep...
Then Desta goes to work on a sewing project while I mix and record music and play internets...
Then at some unholy hour of the night, we meet back up and head to bed so I can do it all over again.

So, that's it! Hopefully this has been an enlightening experience for some of you. If you are still with me at this point, congratulations, you win a prize*!


Thanks for reading!


*"Prize" may not actually be a prize of any sort.

10 comments:

Amanda said...

Very enlightening. Seriously. I LOVE the cart you get to drive, does it have a horn? I think we need a picture of you behind the wheel of the bad boy :)

Erin said...

What a riveting post. Why do you set the alarm so early if you push snooze for 45 minutes? How much did the hot dog/polish sausage cost? How does it feel to have an office of your own with your name on it? I would love to do a post like this, but it would consist of chutes and ladders, shooting hoops in the plastic basketball hoop, and picking up after boys make messes. What a great life you lead.

Brittany said...

James, I just have to say I was cracking up the whole time! Matt and I both said at the same time that professor "Wiz" looks like he has horns on his head because of the clock...just thought I'd share...

Cyndi said...

oh how our children and future generations have so much to look forward to!

Amy said...

wow. I think you deserve a prize for having the patience to upload that many pictures for one single post! And how nice you do bathtime every night, that is seriously cool.

kelly said...

where's my "prize"?

sweet post.

Jennifer (Fern) said...

I thoroughly enjoyed accompanying you through your daily activities! How SWEET is it that you have your very own wicked awesome office AND you're important enough to have to be in a meeting. If you weren't already my hero, you would be now!!

Marie said...

Very intriguing James! I had no idea you got to drive that awesome little black sporty car AND the green machine. You must be an important man on campus....and a genius yourself dealing with all those wires and such. I seriously did read the whole thing and it was great. Sounds like you have a fabulous job and enjoy what you do. I'm impressed with all the pics you took...did you try to hide the camera from the co-workers so they wouldn't know what you were doing...blogging?

I thought the Wiz was wearing horns too.

LaDonna and Ben said...

Perfect. Now I know exactly when and where to kill you. This is going to be a whole lot easier than I thought.

Love, Ben

Walnut said...

the really great thing is how the school spent $5000 dollars on that sweet offroad machine just so you can ride a little closer to work saving you at least 5 minutes of walking. i mean imagine what you can do in that 5 minutes. you are probably saving the school thousands.

James is single handedly saving UVU.
Thanks James