Saturday, September 12, 2009

Excuse Me

Not that anyone has noticed, but I've been absent from the blogging world lately. Hopefully that will change soon. James is out of town at Doug's wedding, but next weekend I'm going to barricade myself in the office and get down to blog business. I want to get all caught up before Owen turns the big 0-1 (which is coming up way too soon!).

So, where have I been? Right here.

Are we ok? Medically we are fit as fiddles.

Then what's the deal? Well, to be honest (without actually being honest) I've been preoccupied with some stuff but I'm just not ready to share it in blog-land yet. And I might not ever. But since I didn't want to talk about it here I just didn't feel like talking about anything else.

Then, the last two weeks of August I found myself consumed with helping to plan our ward's Youth Conference. It was going to be amazing - literally. We had 15 different activities at different locations scattered around Payson and Provo that the kids were going to have to complete in teams, a la The Amazing Race. Then we would have a Guitar Hero Tournament. The next day would be a fireside, awards ceremony and slide show. We all worked so hard. I spent hours writing clues, designing a logo, then printing it out and gluing it to 140 envelopes (for the clues), picking music for a slide show, etc. It was going to be perfect.

The big day came - August 29. Almost all of our youth were there. I hadn't been able to sleep for 2 days I was so excited. Our first challenge was a ropes course at the state hospital in Provo. The weather was perfect, we were all having a blast. And then it happened.

A woman who works at the ropes course made a mistake. A boy fell 30 feet. We all watched him drop.

The bishopric advised us to try and press on, at least until we got more information. The kids were troopers, and we went on to bowling, the Bean Museum, and Frisbee Golf before stopping for lunch. As far as anyone knew, the boy was doing ok. Not great, of course, but not as bad as it could have been. He was being taken to Primary Children's Hospital for more tests.

Within a couple hours everything changed. The leaders were calling parents, asking them to come to the church. We rerouted our activites and brought all the youth there as well. The young man had more wrong with him than we initially knew about. He was in critical condition. We couldn't ask the kids to press on anymore so we cancelled the rest of the weekend's events.

Since then, we've just been trying to cope. The boy is doing better and will most likely heal, though it will be an arduous process. The kids who were there are amazing. They have come closer together to support each other and the boy's family, while extending forgiveness to the woman who made the mistake. Life is going on. There is an article about it here, but they got a few facst wrong; most importantly that the woman was distracted by the kids. Our kids were very well behaved and we had a relatively small group (about 30 people). This was a freak accident and no blame should be placed on the kids. It should not have happened, but it did and now we're handling it as best as we can.

Anyway, I just wanted to fill people in (if there's anyone left who reads this) on what's been going on. One more week and I should have things up and running around here.

7 comments:

Erin said...

I still read!

The story about the boy is sad. I hope he will heal fully.

I can't wait to read any and all updates you choose to put on your blog...

Romney Family said...

I love to read your blog also. That is such a sad story. I am sorry you and all your ward had to go through that. I hope everything turns out alright.

Leslie said...

Oh Desta. I'm so so sorry. What a terrible, crappy experience for you and everyone involved.

Please keep blogging. I have only a handful of favorites, and yours is one of them. If you stop, I may lose faith in blogging all together. I'm already on shaky ground.

I hope everything else is all right with you. I have a hankering for a trip down to Payson, so if you find yourself with some free time in the next couple of weeks...

Kayla said...

I've missed reading your blog! I hope everything is okay, let us know if you need anything since we're gonna live so much closer soon!

Cristine said...

Wow that is a sad story and how hard for all the youth and leaders. How is the boy doing?

Eric and Shaunna said...

Well, what a small world! I actually ran across your blog while looking at a blog of a friend of my cousins...I am really not trying to come across as a blog stalker...just thought I'd say, hello!

I also just wanted to thank you for doing the book club! It sure feels good to have an out with a hectic week! It sure was fun!

The Nelsons said...

I still read, of course. :) Lucky for me, you just live across the street so whether you blog or not, I see you nearly daily. yay for me!!